Friday, September 02, 2005

Ninja-chucks

Nunchucks. They look damn cool, don't they? Spinning bits of plastic or wood, silver chains pulled tight, whirling bits of DEATH! Its high up on the list of "Skills I Wish I Had But Will Never Get". Like an interest in fishing. Or even the ability to bake a perfect cheese cake (recipes accepted below).

One of my best mates has started to teach himself - something involving a high degree of personal risk but surprisingly, something he has become quite successful at. I think he decided to throw caution into the wind with his first child on the way. Yes. I think you can see what I mean.

No matter, he has become quite a ninja at it. So much so, I was enlisted to be his first padwan: an apprentice in the art of spinning things really fast and trying not to hit the dog. I succeeded too. That is, I didn't hit the dog. Well, I didn't hit it that hard. (Anyway, it was the dogs fault.) I mastered the art of rolling my wrist over 'the strike' so that the other end of this WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION didn't arc back and slap me across the back of a knee like I was the target of some misplaced Mafia hit. It's a satisfying feeling, really it is. So that was the good part. The bad part was it took me half an hour to figure out how to hold it tight under my armpit properly (without making a matted, bloody mess of my underarm hair), and then which hand to swing it through with. Meanwhile, there's my friend, swinging his pair like a jazz musician swinging a cat in a dunny. And he grinned at me. GRINNED! I'm not used to being so un-coordinated. I realise now how truly humiliating it is to be the one that everyone grins at when things go wrong. I can only hope that lesson two doesn't involve windows...

Posted by Dave The Hat :: 12:37 PM :: 7 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

-------------------------------------